Wednesday, March 12, 2008

About This Emotional Roller Coaster Ride Called Infertility

Well, after the HSG and S/A had come back normal we were sure that things would happen for us soon. We just needed to have faith and keep trying. That didn't work for us and a year later we were still babyless. I expressed my concern with my family doctor (Dr. A) during my yearly physical in 2006 and he agreed that it was time to seek medical assistance for our infertility.  I was referred to an OB/GYN because there are no reproductive endocrinologists (REs) in my city. We were told we would likely get in to see him in September (8months away!!). We continued to try for the ensuing months. In that time I had a MAJOR meltdown. It was terrible. It seemed like everyone I knew was getting pregnant (pg) so easily and I wasn't. I was stressed at work, not sleeping, had chronic back pain and basically I wanted to get into my car and drive away. I couldn't bear to hear about one more pregnancy or make an appearance at another baby shower with a smile on my face. I went to see my doc and was suddenly on stress/sick leave....blah! I was off work for 5 weeks and TTC was put on hold until we got in to see the new doc (Dr. B). 
In June of 2006 I got a call from the Dr. B indicating that they had a cancellation and could I be there in an hour? YES!!! I met with Dr. B whom I LOVED. He actually specializes in Multiple Births but he agreed to take on my case. We did all of the required blood work and then he put me on Clomid.  The first round of clomid was not successful. The second round of clomid coupled with a follicle scan and hCG injection but still a BFN (big fat negative). Dr. B indicated that he was concerned about my FSH hormone level and that he felt like I needed to be referred to someone who was the Fertility "guru" in our city...Enter Dr. C. 
We finally got in to see Dr. C in February of 2007. We were going to start IUI!!! We were on our way to our BFP. I wept when I left the doctor that day. I was so relieved and excited to be having IUI. I just knew it was going to work for us. 

No comments: