Thursday, March 13, 2008

Let the Turkey Basting Begin!

DH always called the IUI (intrauterine insemination) the turkey baster. Our first IUI took place on March 29/07 with 1 follicle measuring at 19mm and 1 at 16mm (they like them to be between 18 and 21mm to trigger ovulation). This was a GREAT sign. DH couldn't be there for the actual insemination part because he had a gig in another city so he basically dropped of his "boys" at the hospital and left town. We joked that we could one day tell our child that he/she was conceived while mommy and daddy were in different cities. LOL! But unfortunately after the most excruciating 2 week wait (2ww) of my life, our first IUI resulted in a BFN. 
Our second IUI was cancelled because we supposedly missed my ovulation. Blah! That was the end of April. IUI #2b was a bit of a gong show also. My CD (cycle day)10 u/s showed that I had nice follicles growing on the right but 2 days later I had another u/s (at another lab) and she told me I ovulated from the left!?!? I was so devastated. I cried all the way home and had a bit of a temper tantrum with my husband when we got home. Why did this have to be so difficult? Why were my ovaries being so difficult or what the hell was up with all the people whose care I was under. It was all so frustrating. I begged DH to let us skip this step all together and move on to Invitro Fertilization (IVF) but he insisted we should cross all of the bridges first. After all, the Dr. C explained that couples with unexplained infertility have a high success rate with IUI. We just needed to be patient and see it through. During my temper tantrum the doctor's office called to say that they wanted to do the IUI anyway because the doctor felt if I had O'd (ovulated) it was recently. So, in we went for IUI #2....BFN. :-(
IUI #3-June 15th. BFN. :-(
We decided to take a break for the summer. We had vacation plans and the stress was taking its toll once again. I had been appointed Vice Principal for the fall (oh ya', by the way, I'm a teacher) so DH and I decided I needed to relax before moving to a new school and a new position. We met Dr. C to discuss a change in protocol (mainly meds) because Clomid was kicking my ass. He agreed to try Femera (Letrozol) when we returned to treatments. The side effects are less severe...thank goodness.

No comments: