Friday, March 21, 2008

Calgary Here We Come!

We got the call from the Regional Fertility Clinic in Calgary on February 12/08. We only waited 4 months which was a relief considering some had said it could take 6 to 8 months. We were booked in for an Information Session on March 6th and tests and appointments on March 7th (only a few weeks away!!). We received a package in the mail outlining the blood work we needed to have done (again) before we arrived in Calgary as well as pages and pages of information regarding the process of IVF, costs, time lines various procedures: Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), Assisted Embryo Hatching as well as cyropreservation (freezing embryos). We had to decide how many embryos we agreed to transfer as well as decide what we would do in the event that DH and I were separated or one of us died. It was difficult going through all of these documents. As a young girl I never dreamed that one day I'd get married and then have to go through IVF in order to have babies. While it was an exciting time it was also disappointing. It just seemed so unfair that we had to go through this. Anyway, we filled out the forms and prepared for our trip.
We chose to drive the 8 hours to Calgary just to save a few bucks but won't do that again. And I booked us into a flea bag hotel so I'll spring on nicer accommodations next time too. Thank goodness the weather was so nice. We went out for dinner at Boston Pizza when we got there and I cried and cried. I just couldn't control it. I just wanted a baby so bad and I felt cheated that we had to go through this. The poor waitress probably thought we were breaking up or something. Anyway, then we were off to the information session at the Foothills Hospital. There must have been 100 people there...I was amazed. There was a doctor who spoke about the process of IVF and then a counsellor and then a pharmacist (wow the drugs are going to be expensive) and then the nurse. We learned a lot about IVF especially about hormone levels and such  which got me a bit nervous because I new that my FSH level was higher than 10 on the blood work I had done prior to getting to Calgary and the Dr. said it should be below 10. I tried not to worry about it. 
The next day DH had to go for a S/A and then I had an u/s. We managed to get a couple of hours of shopping in between appointments as well. Then it was time for our appointment. I tell you sometimes I think my poor vajayjay could not possibly bare one more test!! We met our new doc, Dr. Greene and he is an amazing guy. In fact, I was so relieved to find that ALL of the staff at the clinic are exceptional kind and compassionate. What a welcome relief after years of dealing with arrogant and rude health care workers back at home. We learned that my FSH is indeed elevated which means that my my body is working too hard to produce follicles. The ultra sound also revealed that I have low ovarian reserve. Basically Dr. Greene explained that my ovaries are behaving like a 45 y/o woman's instead of a 32 y/o woman's. Our unexplained was now explained. I had always wished that we would have an explanation for our IF but when we learned what was wrong I was so sad and angry. I couldn't understand why this hadn't been discovered before??? Why hadn't Dr. C realized this before? Or Dr. A or Dr B for that matter?? DH is right though...there's no sense dwelling in the past or being angry over the fact that we wasted time and money on IUIs which likely never would have worked. Dr. Greene says we have a less than  1% change of conceiving naturally. How's that for odds? A girl on birth control pills has a better chance at getting pg than me. Oh well. We were beginning the IVF journey. Dr. Greene said if I was 40 y/o he would be having a very different conversation with me but because I'm young and healthy he thinks I may still have a shot. He thought our odds would be about 40% rather than the average 60% success rate for a girl my age. I am beginning treatment on what is called a "Flare Treatment" where I will take 450 mg of stimulating hormones instead of the 150 that most women start out on. This will entail 4 injections per day for about 12 days. The hope is that my body will produce enough eggs that 2 good grade eggs will fertilize and be transfered back. If there are any left to freeze that would be a bonus. The good news is I'm young and my body could surprise us so I will remain optimistic. So we signed on the dotted line and our "seniority date" is March 7th/08. It can take 2 to 4 months for us to be offered treatment. 
We also got to talk to one of the IF counsellors and I think this was really good for DH and I. She helped us put a lot of things into perspective and she also validated our feeling of a sense of loss and grief even though we haven't ever actually had something to lose. She was able to describe EXACTLY how I have been feeling over the past 5 years and made me realize I'm not totally nuts. It was also the first time ever that someone suggested "child free" living to us. We do have Riley so we wouldn't exactly be child-free and there is the hope that one day we'd have grandchildren at least, but for now I like to think we will have more children. 
So that is where we sit. Every CD 1 I need to call the Period Hotline, no joke that's what it's called!! and then wait for them to call back and offer us treatment. So we have a couple of months to save up the cash. We figure considering we're likely going to need ICSI and Assisted Embryo hatching and the hard core drugs, we're looking at about $12,000 plus accommodations and travel expenses. We will have to be in Calgary for 2 weeks for u/s and then the egg retrieval and transfer. I really hope this works. 

No comments: