Friday, March 21, 2008

2 Tickets for the Infertility Roller Coaster, Please

After 3 IUI attempts using Clomid, we finally got Dr. C to agree to switching to Femera. Thank goodness for that!! But we waited until the fall to start our next treatment so we could take a break over the summer. In the midst of us TTC, we also decided to tear down our house and build a brand new one on the lot. The demolition was to begin over this summer (the summer of 2007) so we decided to cool it on the turkey basting. We also discussed having a referral made to the Calgary Infertility Clinic for IVF because we had heard the waiting list was quite long. We thought we would get a head start on this just in case our final 3 IUIs didn't work. Dr. C said if we weren't successful after 6 IUIs we likely weren't going to be and we would move on to IVF. So DH and I got all of our blood work done and sent it in to Dr. C to have it sent to Calgary. It was so surreal and exciting. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable summer also! 
In September I went back to work where I was now the Vice Principal and Grade 3 teacher. I was running my buns off!! I asked DH if we could put off the next IUI until October because I was so busy at work. 
We started treatment again in October. I took Femera instead of Clomid and it was a DREAM as far as side effects go. When I went in for my first follicle scan the technician even commented on how nice my endo lining looked which usually thins out on Clomid. I had two follies on the right measuring at 21mm & 17mm so I got the trigger shot.
A bit of a piss off though...we were informed at this appointment that Dr. C had neglected to send our referral into Calgary!! I was devastated!! Here I thought that after almost 4 months of waiting our name would be near the top of the waiting list only to find out it wasn't on it at all!! I was so angry I cried right there in the office. The nurse wasn't even all that apologetic. Man, I was so sick and tired of dealing with people with no compassion. It's like people don't have a clue about what if feels like to have Infertility. So the nurse told us he would be sending it in that day. GAH!! 
We had our 4th IUI on October 18/07. It was a BFN. We had our 5th IUI on November 14/07 and it was BFN too. I was through with the IUIs. Christmas was around the corner which is a hectic time for everyone and I did not want to do a treatment over the holidays. We had a cruise coming up in January. I was DONE. We were on a break until we got the IVF call. 

No comments: